Sunday, February 10, 2008

Quote of The Week, Hogshead - 2/10/08


There will be days when you’ll feel like a complete hack. That does not mean you’re a hack.

-Sally Hogshead

Today, I feel like a complete hack.

I have somehow forgotten everything I've ever read, learned, seen or heard. Both in advertising and in my own life.

And no words from Sally Hogshead will make me feel any differently, although I post them in the vain hopes that my feelings will change.

Taped up on the wall over my desk is the follwing picture:

For anyone who has ever experienced what I am experiencing today (and have been for the last several days), you know that image is not something to laugh at. It's a truth. The blank page is scary. Especially when it's the 10th time you've started with it, liked and got attached to what you presented, thought you had solved it, were told to go do it again, and now your brain is tapped.

Someone (and by that I mean every creative I've ever met) once said that in order to make it in this business you have to learn to be able to get your first golden ideas shot down and be able to come back with something even better.

Easier said than done. Apparently I've got more learning to do.

dubs. out.

No comments: