Tuesday, April 29, 2008

If You Think It, Do It

I keep a Moleskine notebook on me at all times. In it I write down every intriguing thought, insight or idea I have, or any interesting observations or sights I see.

Most of it is stupid bullshit that will probably never (nor should ever) see the light of day beyond those pages. But some of it I've used before in my work.

Last week I was sitting at Crossroads, the local coffee shop (and subsequent grand prize winner of over $250 on my last credit card bill), and saw a dalmation lying next to his owner. A fire engine wailed in the distance and grew nearer. As the sound picked up, the dalmation lifted his head and wailed along with the fire engine, getting louder and louder as it came closer, and then drifted away. When it was out of earshot, the dog lowered his head.

It was one of the most captivating and amazing things I've ever seen in my life. People were awestruck. Into the book it went.

Another thing I put in my book, about a month ago, was an idea for a full length TV or viral spot shot entirely from the viewpoint of someone. I didn't know for what product, why or who, I just thought that device would be great for literally putting viewers in the eyes of the protagonist.

I wrote it down in my notebook and forgot about it.

That is, until I checked Creativity today and clicked on this:



It's the newest nasty effort from LA's 72 And Sunny and director Guy Ritchie, and done much better and with a much better purpose than I ever would have. It's a fantastic spot and will be the talk of the town soon.

But that's still not the point.

The point is something I've said before and will probably say again: If you don't do it first, it will be done by someone else.

So go do it.

dubs. out.