Sunday, January 6, 2008

Quote of The Week, Seese - 1/6/07

"Inspiration comes from fear: fear of loneliness, fear of being average, fear of failure, fear of being forgotten. Inspiration comes from the fear that this is all there is, and we’d better do something amazing while we are here."

-Guy Seese, Executuve Creative Director, Goodby Silverstein & Partners

Coz seems to think that great work comes from fear. Says it's often necessary and healthy for the psyche. While Fenske has never flat-out concurred, he hasn't said anything to make me think he disagrees either.

The worst thing for creatives, I've been told, is an assignment without a deadline.

(In a Jack Nicholson voice:) We want that deadline.

We need that deadline.

As I sit here, my mind unwilling to let itself go off in a cool or crazy or interesting or brilliant or different direction for Doritos (and subsequently wanting to slam my forehead against the edge of my laptop keyboard out of frustration), I'm beginning to think Guy is on to something.

Hopefully next week, when I return to school and to a new semester, as the One Show countdown speeds closer to zero days, and as my chance to "do something amazing" on an international stage slips away, I can begin to scare my brain into thinking up something great.

dubs. out.

No comments: