Sunday, November 4, 2007

A 4-Minute and 45-Second Experiment

We were in visual storytelling class watching commercial reels last Wednesday. I happened to hear a Massive Attack song over a spot I enjoyed and decided to go find it. What I found on YouTube was a little more than I expected.

I'd like to try the following experiment with you in order to prove a point. It involves abortion but in no way am I trying to make any sort of statement in that regard one way or another. Just to get that part out of the way, I am pro-choice.

Think in your mind whether or not you believe in abortion.

Are you pro-life?

Are you pro-choice?

Are you somewhere in between?

Now watch this music video. Try not to get freaked out.



Are you still pro-life? Are you still pro-choice? Did your feelings change? Did they change a little?

Go back and pause it at 3:27.

How about now?

It's pretty wild what music and images, working seamlessly together, can do to the human psyche. They have quite an effect on us, even when they are apparently doing nothing to try to convince us of anything. More than we'd care to admit, at least.

Persuasion is a crazy game, man.

And these are crazy times.

dubs. out.

1 comment:

JesseB said...

Comment.


Good post sir.