Sunday, September 23, 2007

Cool For Cool's Sake is Not Cool

My roommate Tristan and I had a bunch of work we still needed to do on Saturday night, so we stayed in. What we didn't plan on doing was watching nearly 2 hours chronicling the history of Nike commercials. Here's a few of our favorites that I think anyone can enjoy.

There's more to this company than meets the eye. But you already knew that, didn’t you?


Losing a basketball game played out as a Roman operatic tragedy? Good Lord those bastards at Wieden are clever. In the words of James Lipton, the final shot of the villain is "magnanimous."


Music makes the ad world go 'round. The shot of the baby at 00:56 is great also.


This one took me about 25 seconds before I got it but when I did, it made it all the more sweeter. Very Barry Sanders-esque in its message. Almost makes me want to play basketball. And I hate basketball.


A picture is worth a thousand words. A bunch of pictures with a bunch of sounds is worth a whole lot more. If this doesn’t make you want to put on some pads and hit something then you have no soul.


Never have 4 and a half minutes gone by so quickly. I didn’t realize how much Nike owes its success to one man. I suppose growing up I naively took Michael Jordan for granted. Perfect music. Perfect story. Perfect commercial. Imperfect media budget. But who really cares about that anyway...

Being cool and having something to say?

That's cool.

dubs. out.

No comments: